- 600g small squid
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsps finely chopped parsley
- 1 small bunch chives, snipped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Prepare the squid by washing them under cold running water and patting dry with kitchen paper. Holding the head in one hand and the body in the other, pull them apart. Cut off the tentacles and throw away the head. Remove and discard the transparent bone inside the body sac and pull off the pinkish-mauve membrane. Cut the body sac into thin rings, and seperate the tentacles.
- Drop the rings and tentacles into a pan of boiling water and cook for about 5 minutes, until tender but still firm. Remove and drain.
- Put the squid in a serving bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice. Add the parsley, chives and olive oil. Mix together gently and leave to cool, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- While the squid is cooling, grill the red and yellow peppers under a preheated grill, turning occasionally, until charred. Peel off the skins and remove the seeds and cores. Cut the flesh into strips.
- Mix the grilled pepper strips into the squid salad with the crushed garlic. Serve at room temperature as a summer starter.