- 8-10 medium sized carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 85g/3oz yellow or orange split peas
- 85g/3oz pearl barley
- 1.1 litre/2pt stock made with Vecon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- freshly chopped parsley or torn coriander leaves, to garnish
- Place all the ingredients in a saucepan with the stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 1-1½ hours, checking regularly and adding more water if necessary. When the carrots are soft transfer the soup into a blender and puree. Return to the pan and heat through.
- Serve sprinkled with salt and pepper and garnished with parsley or coriander leaves if desired. This soup will keep in the fridge for up to 2 days. To reheat, place in a saucepan and stir until throughly heated but do not boil.